In 1968, Eugene and Catherine Trefethen purchased seven farms surrounding the historic Eschol Winery (c.1886) in southern Napa Valley and created Trefethen Family Vineyards. The Trefethens’ son, John, and new bride Janet, joined the family business in 1973 and produced their first commercial wine. At that time, replanting of the vineyards and restoration of the historic winery building began. The Trefethens' restoration efforts were recognized in 1988 by the Department of the Interior, which placed the winery on the National Register of Historic Places as the only 19th-century, wooden, gravity-flow winery surviving in Napa County.
The Trefethen family has always believed that great wines come from great vineyards and that being 100% Estate is essential to producing consistently superior wines. As a result, they have never purchased a single outside grape. They rely exclusively on their estate vineyard located in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley to produce Trefethen Family Vineyards’ wines.
Over the decades, Trefethen wines have amassed a trove of major awards and accolades beginning in 1979 when the winery’s 1976 Chardonnay earned “Best Chardonnay in the World” honors at the Gault Millau World Wine Olympics in Paris. Yet, their passion for winegrowing extends beyond the wines and their sustainability practices show they are strongly committed to being exemplary stewards of the land, responsible neighbors and enlightened employers. The Trefethen family’s third generation, Loren and Hailey, assist their parents in continuing the family tradition of passion for the land, its people and the art of crafting exceptional Napa Valley wines.