The majority of the cars on the Napa Valley Wine Train’s Consist were built in 1915 by the Pullman Standard Company as first class coaches for the Northern Pacific Railway for use on their premiere trains: the North Coast Limited and the Northern Pacific Atlantic Express. They were the height of technological advancement of their time and were built entirely out of steel. An all steel car provided significant improvements in safety to rail travelers. Other amenities of the newly built cars included electric lights, steam heat, and arched windows. The steel cars, also known as heavyweights, were significantly heavier than their wood predecessors each weighing about 141,000 pounds or 70.5 tons and were around 83 feet long.
In 1960, the Denver Rio Grande Western Railroad bought several of these Northern Pacific cars for its Ski Train service from Denver to Winter Park. They remained in service on the Denver Ski Train until they were purchased by The Napa Valley Wine Train in 1987. After acquiring them, the Wine Train began an extensive restoration project to restore and reimagine the cars. The cars were furnished with Honduran mahogany paneling, brass accents, etched glass partitions, and velveteen fabric armchairs. Great effort was exerted to ensure that the interior of the railcars evoked the spirit of opulent rail travel at the beginning of the twentieth century.